Sunday, March 15, 2009

South Park

It was a cold rainy night in the fall of 1997. My buddies and I were settling in for a night of drinking and running some Playstation (1). Little did I know that night would change my life.

My buddy Scott had a video tape with him and he told me that on the video was the funniest, most outrageous show he'd ever seen. I figure 'what the hell' and pop it in the VCR. What followed was the funniest 3 hours I've ever seen in my life. On this tape were the first 6 episodes of a new show. It was called South Park.

Over the next few months the show took over everything (mostly Spencer's and stores like that). I even wore a Beefcake shirt to my company Christmas party that year. Even my Dad watched the show. I was so happy to have something so hilarious in my life. It didn't really have any kind of message and it didn't need to. It was just funny. I figured I better enjoy it while it lasts because this is way too awesome to keep going like this. It's either going to get canceled or it's going to run it's course and just not be funny any more.

Well, it's now almost Spring of 2009 and they just kicked off their 13th season. Is it still funny? You bet your fucking ass it's still funny. To me, the series peaked in it's 10th year. That's right, 10th year. That year brought hilarious episodes such as Manbearpig, Tsst (a spoof on Cesar Millan) and Cartoon Wars which I initially thought was preachy until I watched it again and realized it was just pure genius.

All praise be to Matt and Trey, the creators, writers and voices of South Park. They've been including messages in some of the episodes lately but have never really taken a stance one way or the other. What they do is inject a common sense into the issues while keeping the humor top notch (but raunchy). This carried over in a big way when they branched off and made the movie Team America: World Police where they just laid into everybody.

For a while I was buying dvds of all the seasons and had gotten up to season 5 when I heard about SouthParkStudios.com which is the resource for every uncut episode ever made. All this entertainment at my fingertips? I love you Matt and Trey.

Oh, you don't like South Park because it's stupid? It's supposed to be stupid, it's a comedy, get over yourself.

A list of things which put together would not equal the hilarity of 10 seconds of the worst episode of South Park ever:
-Dane Cook
-Larry the Cable Guy
-any sitcom still on TV
-Carlos Mencia

I know it's going to all come to an end one day and every time they premier a new episode I always think 'Oh damn, this is going to be the year it all comes crashing down. Now it's going to suck'. Lucky for me that time hasn't yet come.

1 comment:

  1. Monday Morning update:
    I have resigned to the fact that Family Guy is officially done. The first 30 seconds of the Conway Twitty bit was ok but the next 4 min was a little much. OJ jokes? Come on...

    ReplyDelete