Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What I miss from the 90s

So I'm starting to get this 'old man' disease where if something comes out that you didn't grow up with it must suck. Granted, a lot of stuff does suck so here is a small list of things I miss from the 90s:

1-Funny network TV shows


Case in point, Seinfeld. I can watch reruns of this all day. 10 years after it went off the air people still use the catch phrases in everyday life. Classic. How about the first couple years of Friends? Good shit. I'm sorry but Scrubs and Earl got nothing on Seinfeld.


2-Groundbreaking Music


One thing that really does suck today is music. Bunch of talentless hacks. Anyway, when grunge came out in the early 90s it kicked ass. It was almost like a 'remember where you were' moment. I even remember were I was the first time I heard Pearl Jam. You might not have agreed with grunge with all it depression and such but at least you know what it was about. I can count on one hand some bands that have come out in the past couple years that actually have talent. What's grounbreaking? What's the sound of the new millenium?


3-Good hip-hop/rap


What has taken the biggest fall since the 90s in my humble opinion is rap. The 90s started really strong w/ NWA and Public Enemy and got even better a few years later with the emergence of Dr Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube, etc. It evened finished the 90s strong with Eminem and a few good Beastie Boys albums. Now it's all this dirty south crap where they say the same goddam line over and over and over again and then you do some dumbass dance to it (see; soljaboy). It has also lost any relevance to society. That's what rap is supposed to be, a reflection on society. That's why it was good. Now it's about grills and other various dumb shit. Dre's gone, Eminem retired and poor Flavor Flav is stuck on VH1. Al least someone agrees w/ me.









4-The 90210 look


Bear with me here. The kids on 90210 set the fasion trends for most of the 90s with the hair and the Guess jeans and button down shirts. Let's not forget the most important fashion aspect, the sideburns. I looked damn good in this shit. Now I wear long sleeve shirts under short sleeve shirts (under long sleeve shirts) and have no hair. That look back then was so much sharper and cleaner now everybody's just fuckin lazy with how they look. I blame Ashton Kutcher.



A quick list of things I don't miss from the 90s: pagers, Creed, dail up modems, Zima



1 comment:

  1. hahahaha!!!! Dude, you're really getting the hang of this thing. Great post. HAVE to agree with you re. the music. I don't watch much TV, so I really can't say much about that, and DEFINITELY disagree on the 90's hairdo. (speaking of which, you should read my recent post on the movie 8 seconds, starring one of these douchebags). On the other hand, that is one hell of a good looking guy in the blue shirt in the pic.

    ReplyDelete