Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Presidential Address - 2/24/09

I'm not sure I've ever had so much national pride as I did when this speech was over.

Finally, someone stood on that podium and stated the words 'climate change'.

Finally, someone was brutally honest enough to say that there was no easy way out of this recession. It's going to take a long time and a lot of hard work. Working in an employee owned company I've started working harder to ensure my future and I really hope the trend catches on.

Here's my take on a couple of points from tonight's speech:
-Renewable Energy: What he said was great but not nearly specific enough for me. I would have liked to seen more of a plan laid out. I also hope these contracts are doled out resposibly as this opens up the door for a ton of corruption.
-Education: One year of national service to ensure you will have an affordable education? Love it.
-The Wars: This was the first Presidential address I've seen in 7 years that didn't lead with the war. I'm glad he didn't spend lots of time on this because I think we all know where he stands on both Iraq and Afghanistan. I suppose it's too early in the administration to hear any real specific plans on these conflicts.
-Auto Industry: I really hope Obama's push for more reliable renewable energy translates to the auto industry somehow. Everybody keeps blaming the EPA for keeping technology down. What a bunch of shit. Lazy asses... It wasn't that long ago that the best selling car in this country was the Ford Taurus. What the hell happened? The cars got ugly and even more unreliable (and over priced). My Ford truck has 160,000 miles and has only cost me about $2,000 in unplanned maintenance in the 6+ years I've had it. I feel really lucky but this should actually be normal. It probably is for Honda owners.
-Credit: I turned to my roommates when he was saying that banks needed to lend again and said if a bank would give me a loan I could afford a house. Then it struck me that I can't get a loan because of outstanding debts. Wow, financial institutions making irresponsible loans. I guess I'm as guilty as anyone else.
-The deficit: I think this was my favorite part of the entire speech. It's time for everybody to open up the books and start cutting fat. From our federal government to my company to my own household. 2 trillion dollars cut in 10 years? I bet they can find way more than that.

So my company is due for our own little 'State of the Union' address in a week or so. I really hope the higher ups were as inspired as I was by this speech and come to us with a plan. I'm so damn sick of everyone saying 'Oh, we just need to get through this' or 'I have no idea how we're going to get through this' (speaking of the recession). Work harder, cut the fat, show some initiative and just shut the fuck up about it! Mostly, have a plan. Everyone should have a plan.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, brother.

    Is all well at the company, given how shitty the economy is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had a round of layoffs but we're lucky to be in a 'recession proof' area consisting of government and foodservice facilities. We actually landed our biggest account to date late last year. But yeah, overall sales are down.

    ReplyDelete