Wednesday, April 1, 2009

You Other Websites Need to Step Up

When I was growing up one of my favorite publications was the Bargaineer which could be found in Harford and Cecil counties and was free at most grocery/convenience stores. I would eagerly anticipate the arrival of the next weeks edition and you could always teel because it would be in a different color than the previous weeks'. The Bargaineer had everything in it but was mostly useful for it's auto section. I'm not sure I ever actually purchased anything from the bargaineer with the exception of a cord of firewood or something.

Enter the new millenia. Enter Craigslist.

In my humble opinion craigslist is the most usefull site on the entire internet. I can still click on CNN to get news or whatever but where else can I go to find everything I would ever want? Every time!

Here's a list of things I've gotten off of c-list:
-My house - ok, so I rent but my house is pretty sweet and affordable
-My roommate - I was a little scared about creepy internet guy but it couldn't have worked out better
-My camera - nice camera, cheap
-My bedroom set - I had an idea of my perfect bedroom set and thought I was going to have to build it myself until I found EXACTLY what I was looking for
-My TV - It wasn't good enough that I got a 53" digital projection tv for $300 but the guy found it necessary to throw in the gorgeous Ikea entertainment center in for free
-Little Brothers Car - this hasn't panned out perfectly but it's not the site's fault

I've had good luck selling things on this site as well-
-My Bass and Amp - got exactly the money I was looking for
-Work stuff - I've had 5 sales off this site in the past 2 months

Here's a suggestion for those that may become bored at work; read the 'best of craigslist' entries. These posts are some of the funniest around. I just discovered the rants/raves section which is another hilarious way to get through a slow day at the office.

One thing I would never trust this site for; dating. No f'n way. Too creepy.

3 comments:

  1. eBay is good for miscellaneous stuff as well. Here's my list of purchases:

    -space heater
    -cheap bed set (shipping cost more than the set)
    -decorative hanging wall shelf
    -set of serving trays (I forget why the hell I needed these... maybe a tea party)
    -coffee cup keeper-warmer (I guess my coffee used to get cold in the 10 mins it took me to eat breakfast)
    -hot water maker (probably my best purchase)
    -tea strainer ball
    -wireless keyboard
    -generic cell phone charger and accessories (worked/fit, surprisingly)

    Basically, it's where I go if I need something random and don't feel like searching around at Walmart. But I currently still have only about half of the items as I threw out tons of miscellaneous crap in the move. So yes, I would agree that Craigslist is still the #1 site for useful items/people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ebay requires payment and usually shipping. Fuck Ebay.

    Hot water maker? My curiosity is piqued. I usually get by with a microwave. You sure are fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the guy who uses the word "piqued" in a sentence calls the other guy fancy!? Huh! Also, Craigslist is the best way to get Ukranian women who will blow you for very little. They pretend to be students needing a ride from DC to NYC...

    ReplyDelete